Monday, February 15, 2016

Trip to Nana's house in Ohio

My mom is moving to Atlanta to be closer to us! We're really excited. I had one last chance to see my hometown over President's day weekend. I left with the kids Thursday after school and got in at 12:15 am. The big kids slept about 30 min and Nathan about 5.

Here is a story that has to be recorded! Half an hour into our trip, Bradley begins complaining that his belly hurt because he had to poop. So, we stopped at a gas station, but he didn't poop and said he felt better. Half an hour or so after that, he complains again. It becomes more and more desperate. He has got to poop right now. I pulled over at the first exit and headed toward a Taco Bell. Just as we pull into the parking lot, he throws up all over. It is everywhere. It is pink tinged. Not bloody pink color, but a kind of bright. Yeah, Bradley had a Valentine's party that day and ate way more than the one candy I said he could have. Nathan has a weak stomach and followed suit. Nathan throws up anytime anyone else does or if he sees the dog poop in the house (although, he's getting used to that). Luckily Nathan's was just on his shirt. Abby also almost threw up but got out of the van quickly and we avoided that. I had to throw out my old 101 Dalmatians pillowcase that Bradley loved because he was holding it. Unfortunately, it could not hold it all. Luckily, I had a refill pack of wet wipes. I wiped him and the car up, just tossing the wipes in a pile next to the van. I had to pull out everything in the trunk because, of course, their clothes were put in first under everything. 30 min later, just as I'm about finished with Bradley, Daisy started whimpering in her carrier. I asked Abby to get her out and take her potty. Abby put her on the front seat while she got the leash out, then climbed into the seat. I heard her say, "Mom?!" and I'm like, hold on Abby, I'm kind of busy. Then I looked. She climbed into and sat in dog diarrhea! On My seat!!! Brad is now officially clean enough. I ran around to the other side with the wipes. I wiped down Daisy and gave her to Brad to walk. I stripped off Abby's pants and almost threw up myself because it stank so bad! That is saying a lot, being a nurse who empties colostomy bags and all. So Abby climbed in the van in her panties while I again took everything back out of the van to get to the kids' suitcase for Abby's pants, then returned it all again. I wiped down my seat as best I could. Thankfully, we have leather! Finally, I can cleaned up Nathan, who had been buckled in his own vomit for 50 min. 1 Hour later, I have finally finished cleaning the bodily fluids from the car. I filled two grocery sacks with dirty wet wipes and threw them away at Taco Bell, then washed everyone's hands. The kids then asked to Eat Taco Bell...no way. We drove off on our way.
Let me say, I had an out-of-body experience. I felt like giggling most of the time at how absurd it all was and just cleaned and got it done. I'm so glad I did not freak out and scare the children. I felt like I was blessed to be able to handle that situation well.

 Anyway, the kids finally got to bed around 1 am that night at my mom's house. Brad and Abby wanted to sleep on the floor in Nana's room and did so all 4 nights.

It had snowed the first good snow just that Monday before we arrived and snowed a beautiful, powdery snow while we were there. It was perfect for sledding an playing in. It was too dry to pack, though, so no snow man for us. The kids played in it all 3 days and on the 3rd day, spent an entire hour in 14 degree weather. They had so much fun. Bradley, especially, was a little polar bear and asked to go out again within 10 min of coming back inside.
 They liked sliding around on the frozen creek.
I got to sled a lot with my cuties. Nathan would not sled on his own after the 2nd time down on his own he face planted into the snow. "I hold tight mommy legs" was the only way he was going to do it.
This little girl was a dare devil, racing down fast and going down head first.
Nathan biffed it just after this picture, but laughed and hopped right back up again.
 Nana has the perfect sledding hill. Nice and steep.
 Nathan did not last as long as the big ones and would go inside with Nana to warm up. She would have hot chocolate ready for them when they came in, then they'd head upstairs for a warm bath.
On Friday, we went to the Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Gardens, which was covered with snow. Still, it was so pretty. I love that zoo. All of the architecture and the exhibits are so pretty. I can't say much about the actual animals, because most of them were not out, but I still really enjoyed it. The indoor exhibits were cool. The kids liked it and had fun running around.
This is my really good friend Megan Armstrong, who I miss. She was sweet enough to drive out to Cincinnati from Indianapolis to hang out with us at the Children's Museum on Saturday. She used to live in the apartment complex we were in here in Atlanta. We would go for walks with our little babies and swim in the pool. Oh, the easy care free days with one little baby!
 Now, here is our crazy bunch. She also has a toddler, but he was sick and had to stay home with his daddy.
 These two are so cute together. They were immediate buddies as if they were never apart. I have high hopes that Megan will be my in-law one day ;)
Yeah, I'm kind of short...
 Naters loved this shopping cart. Older girls kept ringing up food for him and putting it in his cart...and repeat...and repeat.
On Sunday, we went to church. It was strange to see all these people I grew up with. None of the people who were kids were there, but a lot of the adults. My best friend's parents, Brother and Sister Shim, were there. They are like family, so it was really neat to see them. It felt funny to come back now with all these kids.
Monday, we said good bye for now to my mom. It was a very uneventful drive home, thank goodness!

No comments: